Carson Wentz leads Philadelphia Eagles on furious fourth-quarter comeback to defeat New York Giants

Spread the news

Each team made more than its share of mistakes and comical plays, as would be befitting two teams who came into the game with a combined 2-9-1 record.

But in the end, the Eagles put together about six minutes of brilliance on both offense and defense in their furious comeback from 11 points down with 6:17 left to defeat the Giants, 22-21, on Thursday.

Carson Wentz’s 18-yard dart to running back Boston Scott just inside the pylon at the front of the end zone proved to be the game-winner with 40 seconds left.

“It was an exciting moment, but a big kind of sigh of relief because we know we left a lot of plays out there,” Wentz said. “The way we battled and found a way at the end was huge for us.”

The victory was sealed when Brandon Graham, reprising his Super Bowl strip-sack of Tom Brady, did the same to Giants quarterback Daniel Jones, as Vinny Curry recovered the fumble.

The Eagles began the comeback with Wentz’s 59-yard completion to rookie John Hightower to the Giants’ 14. Wentz capped the drive with a 3-yard TD pass to Greg Ward with 4:38 left to make it 21-16 after the two-point conversion failed. It was the second straight game in which Hightower, a rookie, caught a pass of 50 or more yards.

“It was a huge play in that moment,” Wentz said. “We were down two scores there, and backs against the wall. And John, he keeps putting his speed on tape. He keeps showing up that he can run by defenders and do some things well.”

The Giants, however, could have put the game away on the next possession as Jones had tight end Evan Engram all alone down the sideline on a 3rd-and-7 from midfield. Engram dropped the pass and the Giants had to punt with 2:02 remaining.

The Eagles began that drive at their 29 after the Giants were called for an unnecessary roughness penalty on DeSean Jackson, who was fielding the punt. Jackson suffered what appeared to be a serious leg injury as he was carted off the field.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson didn’t have an update on Jackson after the game

It took so much, however, just to get to that point for the Eagles (2-4-1), who can move into sole possession of first place in the NFC East if the Washington Football Team defeats the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday. The Giants dropped to 1-6.

The Eagles got inside the Giants’ 20-yard line four times after scoring a touchdown on their opening drive and came away with a total of three points.

Wentz, playing behind a depleted offensive line, was on the run most of the night. He went 25-for-43 for 359 yards with 2 touchdowns. But he was sacked three times, threw another interception, his 10th of the season, and made some ill-advised throws that could have been intercepted.

“I thought he battled in the face of adversity, down a couple scores there in the fourth quarter and really hung in there,” Pederson said. “Maybe on the stat sheet, things looked good, but there were some throws, some decisions that he would want back.”

Perhaps the most emblematic play of the night — and really of the NFC East — came in the third quarter when Giants quarterback Daniel Jones kept the ball on a read-option and ran for 80 yards.

He should have gone 88 yards for a touchdown, but he tripped himself at the Eagles’ 8-yard line. No matter, the Giants scored three plays later and took a 14-10 lead.

The Eagles’ mistakes kept on coming after that. They faced a 4th-and-goal from the Giants’ 3. Wentz tried a fade into the corner of the end zone to Hakeem Butler, a third-string tight end who hadn’t played a snap this season.

The pass fell incomplete.

Then the Giants embarked on a 97-yard scoring drive that used up 7 minutes, 50 seconds of the fourth quarter.

The Eagles trailed 21-10 with 6:17 left before making a furious rally that likely saved their season.

It shouldn’t have been this difficult.

The Eagles’ mistakes started early. They scored on their opening possession of the game, added a field goal early in the second quarter, then missed two more scoring opportunities despite controlling the ball for 20 minutes, 19 seconds in the first half, compared with 9:41 for the Giants.

Still, the Eagles didn’t have running back Miles Sanders, tight ends Zach Ertz and Dallas Goedert and four starting offensive linemen, although Jackson returned after missing three games with a hamstring injury.

Jackson had three catches for 34 yards.

But Wentz was under siege from the Giants’ offensive line most of the first half.

That led to some crazy throws, such as one where Wentz ran about 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage, then tried a throw all the way across the field that Travis Fulgham couldn’t hold.

It burned Wentz later in the second quarter when he escaped pressure, then tried an off-balance throw into the end zone for Hightower that was intercepted by James Bradberry.

Then the Giants took over.

That is, until Wentz bailed out the Eagles at the end, with the pinpoint pass to Scott in the final minute.

“We never faltered, man,” Scott said. “Our mindset was never panicking or frustrated or whatever. We just always knew we’d find a way to win this game.”

Spread the news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

track image